i really don’t understand what’s going on with that bug but i now have a running F10 preview.
that means i also have a working procedure for installing the full DVD version as well – which is what i actually wanted to do in the first place.
having done it once i’ve decided to go back to the livecd installer (when it works) as it’s about ten times quicker. looks like writing to disk is the biggest place where fedora loses out to the xandros linux that’s pre-installed on the eee.
to get the DVD install working i did the following:
- find an external USB disk with enough space for the DVD contents plus a bit. you can use an SD card for this but the only machine i have which is capable of writing to an SD card is …. my eee.
- using fdisk create a single partition on it and set that partition bootable.
- mkdosfs on that partition.
- livecd-iso-to-disk on that partition using the /images/boot.iso file from the DVD.
- copy the contents of the DVD to that partition. (you can copy to a sub-directory if you want – just add that path before ‘/images’ in step 8 below)
- boot the eee from that disk (repeatedly pressing ESC while it boots and then selecting the USB drive as the boot device)
- select ‘local disk’ as the installation source.
- select /dev/sdc1 (assuming you don’t have more SD cards or USB devices plugged in) as the source drive and give the path /images because that’s where the install.img file is.
that gets the installer running – after that it’s a regular install. don’t forget to un-tick the external USB drive in the list of drives to install onto!
you can skip steps 2 and 3 if the drive already has a bootable, fat-formatted partition with enough space on it. that way you don’t have to delete anything.
i’ve re-done the install from livecd since then and tried enabling the encryption option. it’s much nicer than in F9 – during the ‘blue bars’ boot stage (called ‘plymouth’ i think) you get a nice, clean text prompt for the password – which you can see as a row of dots as you type! 😀
enabling RPM Fusion repos was easy – just google for ‘rpm fusion’ and copy+paste the commands on the ‘configuration’ page. when we get to the final release it’ll be even easier – just click on the link to the release rpm.
wireless worked after an rpm fusion install and a modprobe just as it did in the beta.
i’ve applied the 64 initial updates. now i’m installing a bunch of stuff – themes, openoffice, optional gnome stuff, google-gadgets and cairo-dock. about 100 packages – could be here for a while!